College Planner Checklist
Print out and use this to help you plan for the upcoming year.
By the end of the year everything should be checked.
TO DO- SPRING OF JUNIOR YEAR
- PLAN next year's program to enhance college admissions prospects.
- STAY INVOLVED in extracurricular activities.
- REGISTER for SAT and/or achievement tests.
- CONTACT military academies to open a pre-candidate file if interested.
- USE THE COMPUTER SEARCH programs to identify appropriate colleges.
- SPEND TIME in the guidance office exploring college materials.
- ASK counselor about summer enrichment programs.
- CONSIDER asking a teacher for a recommendation. Provide them with an updated resume.
- VISIT college campuses during spring break.
- ASSEMBLE a file of materials collected from colleges and those distributed by the guidance department
TO DO- SUMMER OF JUNIOR YEAR
- MAKE an appointment with my counselor for me and my parents to discuss college plans.
- WRITE for college applications.
- REGISTER for SAT's and/or achievement tests.
- VISIT college campuses.
- GET a summer job.
- VOLUNTEER for some community service.
TO DO- FALL OF SENIOR YEAR
- CONTINUE with good study and work habits.
- STAY involved in extracurricular activities. Work toward leadership positions.
- TALK to admission representatives who visit my school. Attend college fairs.
- ATTEND college programs sponsored by the guidance department.
- FOLLOW through with my senior guidance counselor.
- SEARCH for scholarship information continually. Most information arrives in March.
- REGISTER for November/December SAT and achievement tests.
- FILL out applications by December 1st if possible.
- SEEK letters of recommendation if needed. Give teachers sufficient notice.
TO DO- JANUARY OF SENIOR YEAR
- COMPLETE appropiate financial aid forms.
- REQUEST mid-year reports after 2nd quarter
TO DO- SPRING OF SENIOR YEAR
- APPLY for scholarships.
- NOTIFY the colleges I am not planning to attend.
- REQUEST a final transcript to be sent to the college I will be attending in the fall.
Back to Top